Peter Finch: 'Old' and 'Young'

 
 
 



Old

Now I was old and believe me
I was older than need
I was spun ah yes I had been spinning
I had been deep and dark      making
my mark       cut and groove       smear
splash and outrage   talking some talking
some thinking some singing     invented
remembered     calcification and callisthenic
frottage rip and spit      tuck and glue     smudge
wreck scan and copy     look up and spark and
make it your own your very your so much
splicing tape in backwards and repeating    now
there is no tape no splice just digital air and compress
                                          ion      
)))))
listen to old things too much pre-beat Auden and
the great swathe of pale white unfashion.

              Duane Eddy The Crystals Terry Riley Doug Sham
              Dakotas Spotnick Moondog  Stephen Spender  Big Bill
              Drifter Spinner Shadow Top Ralph Stanley Stan Kenton

The stones in my tower are utterly satisfied still with their weight
they are worn careless flower fallen paper foxed when
the books themselves have become shelveless stars and ideas shower like
a river in spate

up there in Pontneddfechan there’s old silence     the 
old bus doesn’t run    down here the past keeps coming back  
tsunami you have to deal with      the things so many
what is it but in things         
old thing cholesterol stuck to 
fragment chol more of
found chol fondly
sought chol loved and shining
pissed chol laughed saved so much of this
chol stuck to the back of the eyes not enough light
residue of a lifetime’s seeing
chol paste tyre rim chol breath hold the highway

Cob chol Kerou chol Franz Mon  Raoul Hausmann François 
Dufrêne Ernst Jandl et la destruction de votre code génétique 
par âge, masse et fréquence.  I beat him said Mottram 1995
on his dying bed tubes and suffering left more processed data for
his circle to manage than they’d ever produced themselves.  Chol
garbage shored against.   Microparticles.  Chol glue on the eight track.
Static hum.

There are things that should be avoided:
              glow
              familiar
              shake
              the drawer full
              can’t find the  
              grain
              noise
              recall wrote it rewrite it mash
              it’ll take time 


I can see the future but it is crowded with reason shored with
chol accumulated considerations history hanes long lists
and catalogues passages from recalling their own parts unbent
and still dirty before cleaning yet often it is the dirt which made 
them and the future trying to glow and failing for all the
camouflage of new generations.    Patterns that cannot be readily
replicated.   You resemble the background.    I can see the
future but my.    I have touched and can’t.     I can speak all
these.   Can’t hear too much rushing in.

Talked about the House of Blazes, had we been there,   what
was its real name?    No one could remember.  
Saw Vic Parker playing, out of tune,  tarts
lined up on stools along the bar smoking super kings.  
Man in a suit like an oldtime blues singer.
Did you read your poems in there?  No.

“However far I’d gone it was still where it had all begun”1

What do the old want bones still and thinking for sure that it
is not belief and old anything.  I was on the verge always been on
the verge just out of reach lifetime reaching lifetime yearning
and if this is it as an answer 
then hell on earth the bones won’t stop nor the searching.

Old Blind Dogs, Old Joe Clark, Old Hickory, Good Old Boys,
Oldfield Mike,  I see a Darkness Will Oldham, higher cholesterol the 
more you  keep stacks of newsprint  paper fading     not to
confront but sidestep aikido gate    stuff the ideas together and glue hope.  
Sky watch.    Big Palaeozoic brightness always a glory.   More of those
in the sky now than I ever remember.   Hard to listen.      
Radio moving out of range.

I wanted to paint this up     old      face up to victory        know
just by starting        know auto will get there       do the smile
with the cracks in the face but ignore them      the old already
walked the path through the bardo pond met Blake and waved    his ideas
like flags      Turner had done this didn’t need to did anyway
I assembled     joins without a crack after time     only the glue itself
failing     Gulf kept coming back like a tape loop      holocaust
up for grabs and more than one of them      you want you plot
hundreds like you           painted it up painted it up painted 
couldn’t put the paint brush down 

                            Dear Ed
                            Hello.    No one checks
                            it is all too easy      new faces a
                            flicker of Photoshop     saying anything
                            anything lifted and anything got
                            two thousand when there used to be
                            merely a hundred     
                            do I worry    I used to.      Heroes the
                            ones outside this rush to the sales
                            dead in their letterpress and their 
                            liquid ink     why bother    
                             they  don’t anymore
                            old wisdom is hard to find.


              heart statistics:

              Excess winter mortality                 8,960
              no ink                                                 29
              Chi factor                                           32
              energy                                                  3
              repeat                                                  1
 

young blue among a great blueness
young an armada all of them pushing
young no weight don’t die but think they do
only the young write about death full of wonder
young made of light like Willem de Kooning
painting at the end of his Alzheimer’s, mind empty
all he made were thin lines and immense white space

Most modern (post dada) magnetic tape (type) systems use reels (rolled) that are much smaller (smiler) than the old (old) 10.5 inch (failure) open (old) (older) reels and are fixed (facilitated) (fornicated) (philosophised) inside a cartridge (cartilage) (cholesterol) (corrugated) to protect (precept) the tape (bend) and facilitate (erection) (failure) (fantasy) handling (holding).  A tape drive (death) or transport (triumvirate) or deck (depressed) (dildo) (dub) uses precisely (presently) (pleasant) controlled motors to wind (wind) (wind) the tape (age) (augmented) (old) from one reel (real) (rip) (risk) to the other (older), passing (pressing) (pissing) a hard (hold) (head) (heat) (hold) (old) (old) (older) read/write (real right) as it does.  Modern (modem) cartilage (cartridge) formats (firmament) (filament) include fade, fix, fume, and already. Already2  is of larger incidence.  Already is must.

invented anyway
found the passage


Picasso on overdrive filling the galleries with the same pot 
each one with a brush mark in a different place
all this comes back simultaneously
Milton Auden Chopin Stein Fisher Mac Low Williams
Ashbery Thomas Creeley Dion di Mucci Marcel Duchamp
Damien Hirst Cohen Apollinaire Old Poet Laureate 

life and little life your life
believe me
maybe more dust and
old ink
but still full of light
far as I can see




Peter Finch 2007

----------------------------------------------------
1 Robert Creeley A Feeling, Life & Death.
2 The poet John Ormond insisted to Peter Finch that he had made these things many times better and in greater quantity decades earlier, no new suns and nothing under them.








Young


Now as I was young and believe me
I was young enough young
I was lilting
I was once rich and young I
knew how much myself I was
spinning so passionate so help me
full of wanting    make a mark my
mark not a borrowed mark    passion alone
is not enough    got to cutting call it mine
but this generation bucks    I tell
them all told a lot of heydays
without ears    hummed myself
blank eyes    disabilities and guesses
no history hovering how
hung among fastmen and pill benders
hurled among fishmongers and pall bearers
hoisted among Finnegan and big Portnoy
hoorayed among fibrillators and Pontneddfechan unbenders
homberged among Humbert and hollow horses
hoomed along humming and hummed honking
young humming not hissing not whistling
humming humming not thinking
now I was young and believe me often
I was young and I was often I was always
I was full of new noises and big mouths singing

Why is it not like it should?
Why can’t it be shining?
Why if it is, is it so little?
Why isn’t it young, always young?
Why is it rich and uneasily easy?
Why does it never tell us it knows?
Why does it stutter coming?
Why can’t it come fresh young, and not like paper?
Why is it all through me, dying?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

item:    Satriani Hendrix cloak

item:    Ashbery Stevens    Ashbery Stevens
             Ashbery Stevens    Ashbery Stevens

item:    we decide we do do we?
             or do we look it up?

item:    (    i*-!*=+@@
                   unreadable  -  overtaken
              by a visible universe like a
              trouser leg)

item:    Youngblood, Young Bones, Mighty Joe Young


What do the young want bones and my maybe thinking maybe is not belief and young anything.  I am on the verge of discovery.

I want to paint this up     young    everybody done it.
It’s an image    work at it like in a greenhouse or a boathut    could read it. 
I want to tell    heard a lot    so boring.
I could assemble    the joins so illegible.
Gulf didn’t exist    no holocaust    diaspora a conspiracy.
You want you just plot with the like minded.

              Dear Ed
              I like what I know
              half tired and so beautiful a bored pogo.
              Change happens so fast I don’t bother.
              Thought of everything
              everything thought up.    No heroes.
              Directories are free.  Why bother.

Young thinking young    anything could
be life    and little and little life
little easy I love my life.




Peter Finch 1991

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

  • Twitter
  • Intercapillary Places (Events Series)
  • Publication Series
  • Newsreader Feed